Get the lush lawn you deserve with our Premier Green&trade' lawn care program, guaranteed to give you a healthier and greener lawn. Visit TruGreen® to learn more.
The sun is finally shining, the birds are chirping and your lawn is…brown? Owning a lawn requires a certain degree of regular upkeep, and we all know that ravaging winter (and sometimes spring) weather sure doesn’t help the cause. So when regular watering and mowing just isn’t enough, what are you going to turn to? The answer is simple: lawn fertilizer.
Join us as we take the guesswork out of lawn care by giving you a crash course in Lawn Fertilizer 101.
A grassy, green lawn is the dream of many homeowners, but as you may have guessed, your lawn needs help from you to look its best. A healthy and actively growing lawn uses a great deal of energy, and like all living things, requires food and nutrients. This is where fertilizer comes in. Fertilizer provides your lawn with the nutrients that may not be naturally available to your grass, benefitting it in various ways such as:
- Promoting new leaf and root growth
- Reducing and controlling weeds
- Replacing nutrients lost to leaching and grass clipping removal
- Aiding in recovery from foot traffic and pest damage
What’s Your Type?
When it comes to the various types and forms of lawn fertilizer, it’s important you’re feeding your lawn the right type of food. Finding the best lawn fertilizer for spring or fall requires some research on your part. Once you’re able to determine the needs of your lawn, you can choose which fertilizer type is the best fit:
- Time-release fertilizers - These are beneficial at feeding the lawn over many months.
- Gradual-release - These allow plant roots to harvest the nutrients they need slowly. This type is easy to apply and minimizes the chance of burning the lawn.
- Granular fertilizers - Available in time-release or gradual-release, and are popular due to the ease of application.
- Liquid lawn fertilizer - This application is spread using a hose to provide a quick and effective way to introduce nutrients to grass roots.
Feeling a bit overwhelmed? For a no-muss, no-fuss lawn fertilizer service, try TruGreen’s new and improved Premier Green™ lawn care program. Guaranteed to give you the healthy, beautiful lawn you deserve, our Premier Green™ Program utilizes the latest technology and techniques we have to offer for a robust lawn.
Consistency is Key
Keeping a schedule when fertilizing allows for your lawn to stay healthier, longer. So, when and how often should you fertilize? That depends on your grass type:
- Warm-Season Grasses- Some popular warm-season grasses include Bermuda, Buffalo and Bahia. These grow best when the growing season temperatures average between 80 and 95 degrees, and go dormant in winter. Easier to maintain than cool-season grasses, they need a feeding only once in the spring after they have come out of dormancy.
- Cool-Season Grasses: These include Kentucky Bluegrass, Tall Fescue and Bentgrass, and as expected, these types of grasses grow in cooler climates, when the temperatures range from 60-75 degrees. You won’t need to worry about fertilizing these cool-season lawns until fall rolls around.
Keep Success on Your Side
Now that you have a better idea of the lawn fertilizer process, here are a few tips to keep in mind for your lawn care journey:
- Water your lawn lightly prior to fertilizing and allow grass to dry.
- Do not over-fertilize in an attempt to get quicker results.
- Water after application to allow fertilizer to fully activate.
- Allow your grass clippings to sit on your lawn for additional nutrients.
You can find additional springtime lawn fertilizing tips by visiting our blog.
Still have questions? Let our lawn care pros help you with the answers.
For more than 40 years, TruGreen® has been helping homeowners just like you achieve a lawn they love. TruGreen's new and improved Premier Green™ Program is the science behind all our tailored plans that will help make your lawn healthier and greener while eliminating even the most aggressive weeds. With a customized service schedule that utilizes the latest technology and techniques we have to offer, it guarantees you the healthy, beautiful lawn you deserve.
For more information on how to achieve a lawn you’ll love, visit TruGreen.com or call 866.688.6722 today.